Zero Tolerance is still happening. Propublica just published this story:
Earlier today various concerned citizen groups held a rally to protest the continuing separation of families at the border.
Dr. Eve Krief is a pediatrician on Long Island. She writes:
WHY WE RALLY: It’s easy to get distracted by the Mueller Investigation, by planning for control of the House, by pushing for a progressive agenda in NY State. But we must pause for a moment and think about the children suffering right now because of this administration’s horrific policies. We must not forget them. We must keep up the pressure.
- Children were tear gassed at the border violating US humanitarian policy and harming children
- An unprecedented 14,000 children are being held in detention indefinitely. Parents and relatives are afraid to come forward to care for them because of the administration’s zero tolerance policy. Pediatricians know that no time in detention is appropriate for children. They should be in loving community settings.
- Detention facility staff is not required to have FBI clearance, which the President of the American Academy of Pediatrics has said puts the children in danger.
- We have learned that the administration is still indiscriminately separating children from their parents
- Our country has virtually locked our borders to asylum seekers escaping dangerous and life threatening situations. THIS IS NOT WHO WE ARE. THIS IS NOT WHAT WE WANT OUR COUNTRY TO BE. WE MUST MAKE OUR VOICES HEARD. Please join us in protest.