Trump campaign promises (which some liberals supported) remain largely ignored. He ran as an economic populist and bucked the GOP’s economic brand, contributing to his appeal. But he has violated every one of his promises.
- Donald Trump promised to negotiate the price of prescription drugs covered through Medicare. “we’d save $300 billion a year,” “We don’t do it. Why? Because of the drug companies.” “We’re going to negotiate like crazy.” On May 11th, Trump announced the federal government would NOT directly negotiate lower drug prices for Medicare. And he chose not to allow American consumers to import low-cost medicines from abroad.
- there will be no infrastructure bill this year. Contrast that with promises of hard-hat jobs modernizing roads and airports across the country. Instead we got a regressive tax cut, with a huge increase in the deficit.
- Trump promised over and over to pull out of Nafta and renegotiate a much better deal. Nafta was the ultimate culprit for declining blue-collar wages. He promised a better deal: “I don’t mean just a little bit better, I mean a lot better.” But, there is no easy “better” trade deal to be negotiated.
- Trump also repeatedly promised universal health care. “Everybody’s gotta be covered. … I am going to take care of everybody, I don’t care if it costs me votes or not” But he never compromised with Democrats and sabotaged the existing program. And now the rate of uninsured is climbing again.
- “Draining the swamp” … Trump promised to enact reforms to reduce the power of lobbyists and business. He specifically
- A constitutional amendment imposing term limits on members of Congress
- A ban on federal employees lobbying the government for five years
- A ban on members of Congress lobbying for five years
- Tighter rules about what constitutes a lobbyist, instead of letting people call themselves consultants
- Campaign finance reform limiting what foreign companies can raise for American political candidates
- A ban on senior government officials lobbying for foreign governments
All empty promises!
In stead Trump embraced Washington sleaze with unprecedented gusto. This includes lobbying for foreign governments: Michael Cohen was a conduit for business interests to buy their way into Trump’s good graces.
- Trump also promised, to raise taxes on the rich, including on himself.
“It’s going to cost me a fortune, which is actually true,” he said. Instead, the only promises he has kept are the ones that put money in the pockets of Trump and his cronies.
Broken Promises should represent a guide for the 2018 campaigns across the country to turn Congress blue. Sitting Rep. congress members that have backed Trump, like Lee Zeldin, are all complicit in these lies to their constituents.