Yesterday I attended an event featuring former Rep. Tim Bishop. During the Q&A session, I asked him what advice he might have for resistance groups on Long Island. He responded, “don’t let the intensity wane”.
We all know that raw emotions rapidly dissipate. When you are angry it is often a good idea to ”sleep over it” before you mouth off! So perhaps you would expect, or fear, that the outrage at our current government might dissipate too?
But here are the facts:
- the numbers of new resistance groups across our county (and nationwide) continue to grow
- within our own group R&R, the number of participants continues to grow. Nearly every day someone asks to join
- the followers of Facebook groups, like Let’s Visit Lee Zeldin, have grown steadily
- the participation of citizens at rallies and demonstrations remains strong and the number of such events is difficult to keep up with!
- while most of us are fatigued by the daily bombardment with news, I don’t know of anyone who has “given up”, or signed off from email lists, etc.
- the number of views of our blog continues to rise since January 1st, 2017 when it was started:
I conclude that the intensity of the resistance is not waning. On the contrary, it seems to be gaining steam.
Why? I guess the answer is obvious. The daily news is hard to ignore. We go to bed angry after watching the latest news about Trump or Zeldin. We wake up and there is even more recent awful news. Our anger is rekindled. It is impossible for the emotions to dissipate!
Yesterday in Montana, the Republican candidate (Gianforte) for Congress assaulted a journalist in front of witnesses and he was charged today with a misdemeanor. That is illegal behavior. Our President has encouraged violence against journalists and demonstrators on numerous occasions. Republicans generally acquiesce and remain silent, rather than condemning such behavior. Hooligans and hoodlums were a feature of NAZI brown shirts in the early 1930’s and this type of violence, including killings, is characteristic of regimes like those of Putin (in Russia), Dutarte (in the Philipines) and Erdogan (in Turkey), all of which are apparent role models for Mr. Trump. Trump and his enablers, including Zeldin, pose an existential threat to our democracy and our freedom. That is why the resistance will not abate.
If you need encouragement watch this great video: TED talk.